8.02.2012

DINKs

I've known the term DINK (dual income, no kids) for quite some time, but I guess I never really thought of it as something to describe James and I. Maybe because we're young or maybe because there's a posibility of us having kid (yes, singular). But the truth of the matter is, we're in our late 20s, we both (some of us more than others [; ) have paying jobs, and we've been married for (23 days shy of) 5 years. We are DINKs.

So I recently joined a site called DINKlife, and while I'm not fully active and engaged, I am at least reading the reports of active discussions coming into my email. One of today's top forums is "What do you say when someone asks you when you're going to have kids?" My dad has a good response to this when people ask when they're going to be grandparents - he tells them that only old people are grandparents - but I don't have a good retort. I typically say "We'll talk about it when I'm 30." But I may adopt some of these...

"We tried to raise some plants, but they died, so we didn't think it was a good idea to move on to something more difficult."

"Who knows, but we are having fun practicing!"

"Oh? Is there a shortage of children somewhere?"

"We don't have the budget for it. We've maxed it out on airline tickets."

"Why do you want to know?"

No comments: