2.09.2012

From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running!

Last week, I was feeling a little frustrated because my workout regimen was not providing any (and I mean ANY) results after 10 days of cardio and Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. The Shred is what pushed me from being fit but plateauing to the best-I've-ever-been shape and confidence last July. But, as has been the story of my life for the last three years, school promptly kicked into full gear and the gym fell down the list of priorities (work, school, husband took precedence, in that order I am sad to say). So within six months, I was back to mushy-gushy and within a few pounds of my heaviest ever. I guess that's why they call it a yo-yo, right?

At any rate, I was feeling vulnerable so when I came across a story on my company intranet about a team that would be running the Publix Half Marathon and Marathon on March 18, I spontaneously signed up. In retrospect, forking over $100 didn't seem nearly as painful as that afternoon's return to sanity and the realization that I had now paid an absurd amount of money to be forced to run 13.1 miles.

With only six weeks to train, I'm on a rather accelerated training schedule - 45 minutes a day for one week, then up to 60 a day for the next five weeks, plus increasingly long runs each Saturday (60 minutes, 10k, 10 mile, etc.). I've recruited a friend to join me, so we can sympathize/support each other through the process, and that's helping quite a bit. I also, upon calming my now yo-yoing emotions (as if the weight wasn't bad enough!), realized that this adventure could be just that - an adventure, a challenge and a test of my will.

I've always thought about running a half, but when I run a 10k, I always think, "I'm crazy, I don't like this, why am I doing it?" and I have no reason to continue, so I don't. BUT I decided this is my year. 2012 is my chance to do the things I want to do, spend my time as I want to and accomplish more than I have been able to imagine while I've been in grad school. This is a new year full of so many new beginnings, challenges and unknowns, and I feel like a half marathon will fit nicely into my year. PLUS, it's three days after my 27th birthday, and I feel there is no better way to ring in my late 20s! :)

I’ll be documenting my training adventures, lessons learned and overall progress here. I figure it’s also a great opportunity to get out my blogging fingers and dust off the ole’ Les Writes More page. Your support and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

No comments: