9.08.2010

Day 05 – My Favorite Quote(s)

I can't pick one, so I pick three -- three very different quotes illustrating three very different aspects of my life. Up first...

Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change. -Frank Lloyd Wright
I wont say that everyone who knows me knows I love Frank, but I can confidently say that many people do. I love Frank so much, in fact, that I think we're on a first name basis. When I refer to Frank, the unknowing often ask, "Frank, who?" as though I'm referring to a friend. Frank, who? Pssssh! The Lloyd Wright himself, of course!

I digress...

I love Frank. I admire Frank. I am in awe of Frank's work. The lines! The blending of earth and man! The organized abstract nature of it all. And that's just his work.

Frank himself is such an interesting man. His house burned twice. He left his wife and children for his mistress, and then his mistress and her children were murdered in his home by his employee. He married someone half his age -- and had a child with her. He was banished from Chicago society, had a sporadic streak that nearly bankrupted him more than once and was wildly impulsive. His best work came after he nearly lost it all, and I love him for that. He was cocky as hell, didn't listen to clients and was notorious for going over budget. I'm talking more than double what he was supposed to spend. He pushed the limits of design and engineering (have you seen Falling Water?). He freaking rocks my world. Sigh.

I love this quote, not because it illustrates what is quite possibly his biggest strength and his biggest weakness -- his confidence -- but because I actually think it's a pretty damn good motto by which to live. Don't pretend to be humble if you're not. Even if you are -- exude an air of confidence. Better -- be confident. Be yourself. And above all else, have no regrets.

Next...

Follow your bliss. - Senses Fail
This one comes from the song "Can't Be Saved" by emo/post-hardcore band Senses Fail, whom I also love. The song starts with this line, and I think its a good way to start every day: follow your bliss. Follow what makes you happy. Do what makes you happy. And be who makes you happy. Bliss.
And finally...

For we walk by faith, not by sight. - 2 Cor 5:7
This was the second Bible verse I ever memorized (the first was "Your word is the lamp to my feed and the light to my path," though I can never remember the book and verse. (It's Psalm 119:105. I checked.)). It was a time when I was starting to discover and grow my relationship with Christ through a discipleship with my dear childhood friend, Andrea. I thought, and still do think, that it speaks a lot to what I was feeling at that time and what other people who are new to their faith often feel. When I am ever uncertain or unsure, I remember this verse.

No comments: