6.16.2009

Are you ready for some football?

I am. And so is my closet!

My love for football has been enhanced here in the South, home of the glorious Southeastern Conference, the bitterest of bitter rivalries and one too many tiger mascots (I'm talking to you, LSU!). When I was told football here is a religion, they weren't kidding.

They also weren't kidding when they said that girls get dressed up for football games. My Ohio football wardrobe consisted of denim, flops/tennis shoes and a t-shirt/hoodie. As it was often cold and snowing/raining, hats, gloves, ponchos, etc. were my best accessories. The fact that I own an OSU football jersey was not unusual, that I would wear it while watching or attending a game would be expected.

If I showed up at a Georgia Tech or Auburn game dressed like I did in Kent, I'm not sure many of my friends would claim ownership. They'd whisper about that weird girl who asks for pop, hates whisky and wears t-shirts. What atrocities!

Thankfully, I love getting dressed up, so it didn't take too much arm twisting before I started appearing on Saturdays with my hair done, wearing a proper blue and gold/orange sundress, and sporting coordinating fingernail polish and un-sensible shoes (saying soda & drinking whisky are just too much for this Northerner, however). The added bonus is that I get to spend a little more time browsing the racks with the excuse of "Game day!" to ward off one disgruntled husband who does not want to be in the mall for more than five minutes at a time.

Around this time of year, I start keeping my eyes peeled for appropriate attire, and I think I've found my first score! I love snagging cute pieces from Forever 21 because they're such a steal that I can still have some cash to get some great accessories while I'm there! I'm seeing white sunglasses in my future...

No comments: