10.15.2008

Wiiiiiiiiii

Because I'm still my parents' semi-spoiled little girl, they were kind enough to pick up a Wii Fit for James and I when they were waiting in line for their own (For the third time. [At 7 a.m.]). My mom has been using it diligently, especially the yoga, for a few weeks now, but she cautioned me that it may not be as difficult and interesting for my video-gaming generation--though she must have forgotten that Game Boy was as far as I ever got into video games, so they aren't my forte.

Nonetheless, I have been waiting for a couple weeks until I went back to Ohio to get the Fit. I had to carry it on the plane, and let me tell you, it caused quite a stir! The man in line behind me wanted to chat about the part where you have to head soccer balls while dodging flying cleats and panda heads. The TSA employee running the x-ray machine couldn't figure out what it was when it showed up on her screen, and another wanted to have an in-depth chat about how I got it and how it worked. When a gentleman retrieved it from the overhead compartment, it sparked a conversation spreading three rows each way.

I've played/used the Fit for a little while each day since I brought it home, and it really is a lot of fun! The Balance Board is about two feet by one foot, and it communicates with the Wii consul the same way your remotes do. You choose your Mii and set up your profile by inputting your age, being weighed, calculating your BMI, and testing your balance. Then you are given your Wii Fit age; the first time, mine was a staggering 36! Yikes! The more you do the exercises, become toned and find a better center of gravity, your age gradually lowers. It's interesting though, because simple repetitive testing can easily lower your age. After using the Fit for three days, my age as dropped to 20.

The activities are very fun, though. There are sections of yoga, strength training, aerobics and balance. The more you do each activity and the better you get, more tasks and higher degrees of difficulty are unlocked. My only complaint is that there is not a whole program for each category; for example, you have to stop for a minute or so in between to choose each yoga pose individually. It isn't the most time-effective practice. I have been a little sore after doing them, so I know I'm hitting some muscle groups that don't normally get my attention--especially my side abdominal. Your success is measured by your balance, steadiness and ability to keep in time with your "trainer," either male or female, who coaches you as you work.

Overall, I think it's a lot of fun, especially for someone like me who hates free weights and machines, but isn't getting a full workout by running. It's also turned me on to yoga, which I never tried and didn't understand why friends are so enthusiastic about. It's not going to make anyone drop major weight or become body-builder buff, but it's fun, it's better than no physical activity and it is oddly invigorating. Now if only I could get my husband into it......

No comments: